- (origin) late Middle English – from Latin educere ‘lead out,’ from e- (variant of ex-) ‘out’ + ducere ‘to lead’
- an obvious play on the word Education
- to extract (information) from various sources
- to collect gradually and bit by bit
- (historical) to gather leftover grain or other produce after a harvest
- thesaurus: obtain, get, take, draw, derive, extract, cull, garner, gather, learn, find out
eduglean: the sharing of things learned in the sphere of life – specifically Christian education.
Welcome here! I am honoured you decided to click-in. I encourage you to read that this site is all about and, if you feel so inclined, to check out a few blog posts.
Here are some motivations for starting up eduglean:
- “Everything I have learned, I have learned from someone else.” I have very few original ideas. I am a learner – seeking, needing, growing. I hope this space will facilitate more learning. Here, I have replaced learning with gleaning… I have made it my goal as I meet people in any setting to try glean something from them. Everyone has something to share with another…we just have to be open to it.
- People I respect in the digi-sphere are doing this. I am gleaning from them. I enjoy networking. I am excited to learn what they are in to. I hope to add my small voice to the discussion.
- My life is very busy…and I very easily find every reason not to think. I purposefully desire this blog to force me to think, to produce, to articulate, and to collaborate. Life is full of stuff that takes our time – many good things and many bad. But really, does it take our time, or have we just made agreements with ourselves allowing ourselves to give time to certain things…? I want to think. This will help me think.
- I am a serious procrastinator (plug for a future post on ‘planning’). Therefore, I do my best (only?) work when I am pressed/squeezed/stretched and feeling the ‘pinch’. I’m really just adding another commitment into my workflow…so that I find a way to get this thinking space happening!
Eduglean is a goal – an attitude – a mental paradigm – a lens – an expectation – to bring into every situation I find myself in. I really try to learn from every activity/conversation/event/moment, and seek tangibly to apply it to my life and experiences. So, eduglean is my reflection/communication/articulation of what I am ever-learning. It is also what I hope to share with you. And, in turn, for eduglean to be what I dream it can be – relevant, helpful, engaging, collaborative, current, purposeful, meaningful – I invite you to engage & share here too.
Without a doubt, this is a work in progress. Life-long-learning is a continual progress. So, eduglean will continue to mold & change, to flex & grow, to reflect & sharpen. But, please trust that this will only work to the fullest potential when you, yes you…the one reading…take the time to ponder, reflect, critique, and comment. I encourage you to do so – we all thank you in advance.
Let the edugleaning begin!